Tuesday, November 18, 2008

THE RUMORS ARE TRUE (OK SO THEY AREN'T REALLY RUMORS)

Since Joey over at UrbanJax spilled the beans today about the garden and the possiblity of a market, I've been bombarded with emails asking me if this is true. I was going to wait and announce the news when it was all set in stone, but everyone seems to be extremely thrilled. So, here's the truth:

Downtown is going to have our own GREEN farmer's market in collaboration with the Downtown-Springfield Community Garden (try not to pee your pants in excitement!) I have talked to Christy, owner of the Pearl nightclub, and the location will be in the parking lot between the garden and the Pearl on Sunday mornings. I have a ton of people interested in participating, so I don't think we will be short on vendors. The farmers involved will only have
organic and/or local produce, dairy, baked goods, etc. There is also a number of eco-friendly business owners who have products made from natural ingredients and recycled materials. I'll post a list of all the participants before it starts. The date isn't confirmed, but I'm crossing my fingers to have the first one in a couple of weeks following a possible ??benefit show?? and my birthday :)

If you're in a band and want to participate in the show, or want to be a vendor at the market, get in touch with me!

Right now we are trying to become a non-profit through SEE, and I've gotten a lot of helpful info from Gretchen Ferrell, who runs the BLFN. If you ever have time on Saturday, you should check out the market and gardens at the beach from 2-5pm.
What she has done there is incredible, and I'm really hoping downtown will love this as much as the beaches community does at Jarboe Park.

Also, don't forget about the B/PAC meeting this Thursday @ 5pm. It's right down the street from my house in San Marco, so if anyone wants to ride bikes over there with me, holla!

No comments: